RME Audio ADI-648
24 Bit/96 kHz 64 Channel MADI, 8 X 8 ADAT Patchbay, S/MUX, WC I/O, Optical/Coax Format Converter
Manufacturer part number:
Singlemode - Optical MADI Modification for RME MADI systems
All RME MADI products provide optical I/O for the use with "multimode fibres". "Singlemode" is available on request for select units and allows an operation within existing singlemode networks, without additional expensive converters.
Please note all Single Mode modifications need to be performed by the manufacturer. Please contact us for more details.
This Multichannel Audio Digital Interface offers format conversion from MADI to ADAT and vice-versa. The ADI-648 thus combines the world's most successful multi-Channel interface with the professionals' exclusive high-end interface. MADI offers 64 channels of 24-Bit audio at up to 48 kHz sample rate, and 32 channels at up to 96 kHz. Transmission happens over a single line, either coaxial (BNC) or fiber optic (network). In both cases the cable length can be more than 100 meters.
The MADI channels are transferred from and to 8 ADAT optical inputs and 8 outputs via TOSLINK. Furthermore, the ADI-648 contains an easy-configurable 8-Channel 16x16 Matrix Router. Any of the outputs, which are divided into 8-Channel blocks, can be fed from any 8-Channel input block, both on the ADAT and the MADI side. With this, there is not only free routing within the M-A and the A-M conversion, but also splitting and routing within the same format. An 8-Channel input block can be routed to any number of output blocks in parallel. Using more than one unit, several MADI signals can be combined to one (merging). Here are some application examples:
- Managing long distances with a single cable
- ADAT breakout box for devices with MADI interface
- Connecting MADI-based equipment to RME's Hammerfall series
- ADAT optical patchbay and router
- MADI coaxial / optical or vice-versa converter and splitter
- MADI redistributor, patchbay and router
- MADI Merger
- detailed application examples (PDF)
- The ADI-648 is compatible to all forms of increasing the sample rate (Double Speed). It supplies word clock in single or double speed, distributes 96 kHz signals in Double Wire mode into the MADI data stream, or per Sample Split (S/MUX) to the ADAT ports, but is also capable of double MADI rate (96k Frame). The ADI-648 thus also represents an ideal MADI front-end for the Hammerfall and Hammerfall DSP series